Stefan Doru Moscu is an independent Romanian artist, born in 1982.
His work covers both painting and sculpture. He studied Arts and Restauration-Conservation (polychrome wood restorer) at the Faculty of History and Heritage Nicolae Lupu of Lucian Blaga University from Sibiu, 2008.
Some important exhibitions where Stefan Doru Moscu participated as a painter include Group exhibition at art contest "Artist Wanted / Art Takes Times Square", New York; group exhibition at GLO’ART, Global Art Center in Lanaken, Belgium 2015; group exibition at the SIGNS OF DEXTERITY ART MARKET BERLIN, solo exhibition "Never Too Far" at Okian Gallery from Brasov; Group exhibition Multipoint at Oravska Galeria in Slovakia; Group exhibition at auction house Grimberg gallery Bucarest; work sold through LAVACOW ONLINE AUCTION, ARTMARK AUCTION HOUSE; “first international exhibition of MULTIPOINT" in Warsaw, Slovak Institute; Group exhibition "Out of the ordinary" by Multipoint International art symposium in Univerzum Gallery from Nitra, Slovakia; Group exhibition in Mirela Traistaru project at ArtSafari, Bucuresti and at the MOYA - Museum of Young Art, Vienna .
As a sculptor, he was part of some exhibitions like Group exhibition of the Atelier 35 Association in the lobby of the "Sibiu City Hall"; Exhibition in creative camp (wood sculpture) at the ninth edition of the International Summer Camp, University Corvin Castle, department of fine arts; he is the winner of the first prize at the national wood sculptor in Suceava.
As an artist I have always been interested in special textures like an object degraded, decaying, rusting or corroded in time, and that is why I am painting with broad brushstrokes of blues, grays, browns and greens and their complex structure offer a contemporary vision of major political narratives and such fundamental, universal topics as the abuse of power, exploitation and oppression, and also of a personal, individual human struggle and takes a critical view of social, political and cultural issues. In my paintings color assumes extreme importance, suggesting a somber mood, as furtive and enigmatic.
In my research I intend to deconstruct the normal reality, fairy tales, old photo that are parts of our childhood and adult culture and I like to create a discourse that challenge the existing political, economical, social and technological paradigms. For me, communist era is something more like a tale. I don't feel communism as a pressure on my childhood, though I have some interesting and sometimes, sad stories of my parents. Nevertheless my work goes beyond this kind of references, because of its psychological background. Here, solitude and fear look rather universal. Cinema is rather closer than any other approach. I am also focused around the relationship between man and nature in urban environments. I try to obscure all my historical and political references by fusing them with personal memories, film references, frames from the entertainment industry and elements from art history.
As a main focus of in my projects I might say that I am watching the transformation of society between those two "living environments", if we may say so, the online and offline, between the immediate past and the present in perpetuate transformation.
Bachelor's degree in Art and Restoration department of the State University of Sibiu, Romania, 2005 – 2008
• 18.03. – 13.05.2016, Berlin, Germany,
"The See"/"Vom Meer".
International group exhibition at Projectspace of Group Global 3000,
Leuschnerdamm 19, Berlin-Kreuzberg
• 2015 - Group exhibition at GLO’ART, Global Art Center in Lanaken, Belgium (International)
• 2015 - Group exhibition in Mirela Traistaru “Mosaique de l’arc-en-ciel” project, Bucharest (National)
• 2015 - Group exhibition, curated by Nicolas Simoneau, at ODD B. CONTEMPORARY, (International)
• 2014 - "Signs of dexterity", Greenhouse, Berlin, Germany (International)
• 2014 - Slovak Institute, Warsaw, Poland (International)
• 2014 - Oravska Gallery, Dolny Kubin, Slovakia (International)
• 2013 - "Out of the ordinary", Multipoint International Art Symposium at Univerzum Gallery, Nitra, Slovakia (International)
• 2012 - "Artist Wanted / Art Takes Times Square", Times Square, New York, USA (International)
• 2010 - Casa Mureșenilor Museum, Brașov, Romania (National)
• 2008 - "Ice sculptures at the Ice Hotel", Bâlea Lac, Romania (National)
• 2007 - Atelier 35 Association, Sibiu, Romania (National)
• 2005 - Corvin Castle, Hunedoara, Romania (National)
• 2014 - Art Safari, Bucharest, Romania (National)